Milk kefir cheese is a delicious, healthy alternative to cream cheese and sour cream. Made from strained milk kefir, it is low in lactose and high in living, beneficial microbes, vitamins and minerals. I always reserve a batch of my kéfir de lait maison to strain to make kefir cheese.
This rich and tangy cheese can be used as a dip, spread or salad dressing. It is delicious as is, and also pairs well with both savoury and sweet flavours. Milk kefir cheese is a big favourite in our house- my husband enjoys a french onion version with chips, veggies and baked potatoes. My youngest daughter likes a sweetened chocolate version spread on toast and bagels. The combinations are endless, and once you try this tasty and easy recipe, your family and friends will be begging you to make more!
HOW TO MAKE MILK KEFIR CHEESE
Preparation Time: 1-3 days (includes straining time)
- Home-made Milk Kefir (either 2% or whole milk, cow or goat’s milk)
- Coffee filters or Cheese bag (I find coffee filters easier to use, but cheese bags also work well)
- Line a sieve with 2 layers of coffee filters. Place over a bowl to collect the liquid (whey). You can save the whey to be used as a starter in other lacto-fermentation projects or added to smoothies.
- Pour kefir in filtered-lined sieve. Place in the refrigerator and leave to strain for 1-3 days, until desired firmness is achieved.
- The finished kefir cheese will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks. Below are some flavouring ideas to create delicious, healthy dips and spreads. Experiment with your own flavour combinations and feel free to share them on this post- I’d love to try what you come up with!
MILK KEFIR CHEESE FLAVOUR IDEAS
Add the ingredients to the kefir cheese to your taste preference.
- Chive: add chopped fresh or dried chives
- French Onion: dried onions + beef or vegetable stock powder
- Curry: add curry powder or paste
- Pre-made spice blends/dip mix
- Vegetable: add dehydrated or fresh minced vegetables
- Sweetened Cocoa powder
- Fruit preserves
- Jam[yumprint-recipe id=’15’]